Tuesday, March 28, 2006

LCCC to allow access to Student Evaluations of Teachers

from an article in the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram:
Some instructors at Lorain County Community College may find classrooms either very crowded or very empty next semester, depending on what former students say about their teaching methods and style.

LCCC student Daniel Barnicle of Westlake, who is running for Student Senate president, filed a Freedom of Information Act request for the teacher evaluations students complete at the end of each semester because he wants that information made available to students.

Marcia Ballinger, vice president of strategic and institutional development at LCCC, said the evaluations are public records and will be made available.


I am not sure, at first glance, how I feel about this. I suppose I have mixed feelings. Ultimately, I suppose, I am OK with this. There are already many informal means that students use to discuss teachers - might as well allow access to the "official record" on the matter. If anything, it will help students get a more comprehensive idea of what the instructor is like - as opposed to the limited view one might get through word of mouth. The truth shall set you free - as they say.

I am sure, however, that other instructors have different views of this. What is your opinion?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home